Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One lens+three shots

I think every photographer has some times where they feel like they're not as good as they'd like to be. Lately, it's been my time to feel like that. I tend to shoot A LOT. Since I worked for the newspaper last year, I learned to shoot a lot, you can always throw pictures away if you have too many but when you're working with news, you can never go back and get more pictures. Shooting like this has both helped my photography and hindered it. I go to a shoot and take pictures like crazy and get home and guess who gets to go through and sort all of those pictures, this girl! Lately I've been feeling like I take so many pictures and only get a handful of decent ones. I know I need to be more confident in my work, but I haven't quite figured out how to boost my confidence lately.

One day while I was going through some photos and complaining to my boyfriend about how I take so many pictures and hardly get any good ones, he asked me why I didn't like them. I told him that I felt like my composition was all off and I was shooting way to much. On Friday, during our lazy weekend, Scott asked me if I would like to go on a photo walk around my block. I told him I'd love to! He then told me, "If you'd like, I'll give you an assignment for this walk. You can pick one lens, out of both of ours, that you have to shoot with. That is the only lens you can take." He then asked if I'd like to leave it at that or add something else to it. He then told me that I could only take 3 pictures of each subject and no more. I could photograph as many things as I wanted but could only take three pictures and then move on. His reason for this was to make me concentrate on what I was doing and take my time. Let me tell you, it sure worked! I found myself concentrating more and taking my time. Taking less pictures sure made my editing a lot easier!!

Here are a few pictures from our photo walk!
Enjoy!








Day 140
May 20

"One lens+three shots"


No comments:

Post a Comment