Monday, January 9, 2012

The Faces Project Begins!: Katie + Forrest

!Caution!  This could be my longest post yet!

365 project accomplished!  When I started my 365 project I was both scared and excited to take a photo every single day for a year!  I was scared that I would forget days, I would get tired of taking pictures, or I wouldn't improve at all.  Surprisingly it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!  Photography is what I love to do and I knew going into the project that if I ever grew tired of taking pictures then I would have learned one thing: that I need to change my major and job choice.

I did it.  I took 365 different pictures on 365 different days. And guess what?! I made it out alive!!

Guess what else!  I still want more!  I think every photographer has times where they feel a little down, have second thoughts, and think they're not as good as they'd like to be.  I had many days like this.  I started to realize that the days I was happiest about my photography and felt proud of my work were the days that I was taking pictures of people.

I'm a portrait photographer.  I love people! (as good as that can sound without being weird).  I love taking pictures of people and getting to know them in the process.  I think it's amazing how much you can get to know someone in just a 60 minute shoot with them.  

Most people that know me may know that I tend to be a little shy at first (If you don't know, ask my boyfriend.  The first time I met him I hardly talked at all!  Now he can't get me can't get me to stop!)  This is one thing I have always wanted to overcome in my work.  I always wish I could start talking to a stranger like I've known them forever and not have that awkwardness of us both knowing that we hardly know each other.

I've decided that there is one thing to overcome my photography problems (unhappiness when not taking pictures of people and my initial shyness when I meet someone).  The solution is to take pictures of people, and lots of them!

My new photo project to start off 2012 is the "100 faces" project.  The goal of this year long project to take pictures of 100 different people in 365 days.  I have debated long and hard about this number and I finally decided that this will push me to take pictures of people more often, as well as making me ask STRANGERS if I can take their pictures.

What are the rules?

1) 100 DIFFERENT people.  
My definition of different (for the sake of this project) is that I can ONLY take a picture of the same person twice if they are photographed with someone else at least one of the times.  But twice is the max!

1-1/2) A photo of a couple is considered 1 face photo.

2) Their 'face' picture does not have to be a picture of them from the front and all photographed the same
I want this project to be an experiment for me.  I want it to be a chance for me to grow and search for different options
3)HAVE FUN!
I want these shoots to be fun and not all serious and full of specific rules.  I want these shoots to be a chance for me to loosen up and have fun with my camera!

I will be updating my project on my blog as well as Facebook!  So keep an eye out!  I also have my 2011 365 project up online and some of the photos available for purchase!  Check em out here!



Alright.  Enough about the project and on to see the first FACES!

Katie and Forrest.  Are. Awesome!

I loved watching these two together.  When I photograph couples I tend to just sit and watch them through my camera as they interact with each other.  My goal in photographing couples is to capture them in a way that explains their relationship.  I don't think I could ever 'pose' a couple in a way that could show this.  I love to tell them "Stand here", and simply walk to the side and see what they do next.  Some couples watch me as I walk away and wait for my next command.  But Katie and Forrest did exactly what I was hoping they'd do.  They completely forgot about me and were off in their own little world and I LOVED it.

Here are a few pictures from our shoot!  Enjoy!!













Faces #1

Katie + Forrest 



No comments:

Post a Comment